Homophones are one of the major features of Chinese. One effective way to introduce this important feature to children is through games. Such games help increase children's awareness to homophones. They are also effective ways to systematically expand their vocabulary, and to help them remember those words. A solid understanding of homophones and rhyming characters will help children develop writing ability in future.
The game described here is adapted to the Basic Chinese 500 course. With the help of these Study Cards, you can adjust the game to suit your child's progress.
*Note: the game is based on Putonghua pronunciation.
本週遊戲 ACTIVITIES OF THE WEEK
同聲同氣 (age 3+歲以上)WHAT YOU NEED 道具 HOW TO PREPARE 事前準備
- 歡迎參考上圖，亦可下載PDF文檔 (內附繁體及簡體版)
- Choose 2-8 pairs of homophones from the Study Cards
- Feel free to refer to above diagrams, or download the PDF (both traditional and simplified Chinese versions provided).
- 讓孩子選一張字卡，請他讀出來 (讀出後，可以用卡背的拼音檢查是否正確)
- Choose the homophone characters that your child has already learnt. Mix up the cards and lay them out in front of your child, with the characters facing upwards.
- Ask the child to choose one card, and read it out loud. (You could check the pronunciation with help of the pinyin at the back of the card)
- Ask the child to point out the other character which is pronounced the same as the one they just picked up.
- 每個字請孩子 說一句含有這個字的話。這樣不但可以學習運用和造句，還可以幫助孩子清楚識別兩個同音字的不同意義和用法。
Depending on your child’s age and progress, you can incorporate the following activities:
- For each card your child picked up, ask if they can remember where in the books they have seen this character, and if they can remember the sentence(s).
- Ask your child to make up and say one more sentence, using this character. This will ensure your child understands the differences between the two homophones.
你和孩子玩過這遊戲後有甚麼反映嗎？我們很期待欣賞孩子玩這遊戲的照片喔。很多家長都已是我們 Facebook 群組【講媽 · 講爸園地】 的成員，歡迎你也加入我們。
We would love to hear your comments and see pictures of your kids doing the activities. Make sure you join our Sagebooks HK Parent Support Facebook Group and share with us!