疊詞/Reduplication is a unique yet important feature in Chinese. It is the "doubling" of a character in a word. Some examples are:
The structure of 疊詞 can have many combinations. Some common patterns are:
The use of 疊詞 makes the language more colourful, whether in writing or in speaking. It also adds a certain rhythm, and sometimes subtle nuance. For example, when we compare:
A lot of names in Chinese are 疊詞：
It's a common practice to double up a name in baby talks, such as: 吃果果、穿鞋鞋、肚子痛痛、玩球球. It is not used among adults.
Subtle changes in meanings
When some 量詞 are doubled up, they mean "every single one". For example:
When some verbs are doubled up, they become a suggestions, or are changed to a polite form. Some examples as below:
Some verbs can be doubled up to signify little pauses in some continuous actions. For example:
疊詞, similar to 成語 (Idioms), has evolved throughout history. New ones are also being constantly added through our everyday use. The most effective way to learn them is by reading extensively, talking with people, and finding opportunities to use them.
If you are interested in more examples of 疊詞, please read our article 漢語的「疊詞」 (in Chinese).
我們另一篇文章 漢語的「疊詞」 有更多的參考舉例，歡迎你參閱。
ACTIVITIES OF THE WEEK
Most of these activities are geared towards teaching children some common 疊詞 to help them start building their vocabulary.
疊詞 Matching Activity (age 3+, single or multiple players)WHAT YOU NEED 道具
- Sheets of paper 紙 (裁成大紙卡)
- Pen/Pencil 筆
- Using the examples (or your own), write the two parts of 疊詞 on multiple cards (eg: 綠on one card and 油油 on another)
- 準備一組幾個疊詞，將每個疊詞拆開兩組，重疉的部分寫在一張卡上，另一部份寫在另一張卡上。例如：綠油油 - 「綠」寫在一張卡上，「油油」在另一張卡上
- Lay down one half of the 疊詞 face up
- Give your child the other half of the 疊詞
- Have your child match their half with the face up cards
Depending on the age of your child, you can increase or decrease the difficulty level of the activity by:
- Having your child match the FULL 疊詞 instead of each half. This will be easier for younger children.
- To make it easier, split the 疊詞 in half at the doubled word. (eg: 綠油 on one card and 油 on another)
- To make it more difficult, you can also have the full 疊詞 on one card and the MEANING/definition on the other card.
- 開始時可以將兩個重疊詞拆開 (例如: 「綠油」在一張卡上，「油」在另一張卡)，會比較容易
疊詞 Unscramble Activity (age 5+, single or multi players)WHAT YOU NEED 道具
- Sheets of paper 紙
- Pen/Pencil 筆
- Write each character of the 疊詞 on individual cards
- Take all the character cards in a 疊詞 and mix them up.
- Give all the cards to your child and have them unscramble into the 疊詞
- To make the activity harder, you can mix up multiple 疊詞 cards together and have your child unscramble ALL of the 疊詞. The more 疊詞 you include, the more difficult.
- You can also make it a team activity. Either have the children unscramble 疊詞 together in a group, or have two separate teams of children and see who can unscramble the 疊詞
We would love to hear your comments and see pictures of your kids doing the activities. Make sure you join our Sagebooks HK Parent Support Facebook Group and share with us!
很多家長都已是我們 Facebook 群組【講媽 · 講爸園地】 的成員。歡迎你也加入我們，一起互相鼓勵和支持，共同為孩子的學習而努力。