Playing games is the best way for children to learn. Games that challenge children’s knowledge or abilities are great ways to foster their lateral thinking and boost their memory.
We have designed a simple game to help expand children’s knowledge of Chinese idioms.
From each of the four characters in the idiom 「馬到功成」, what other idioms can your child come up with that uses these characters?
We have provided a sample solution here for students of the Basic Chinese 500 course. There are many more others.
Here are the explanations of the 5 idioms in the solution provided:
- 馬到功成 - success will be achieved as soon as one arrives = achieve instant success (the horse implies the person who’s riding it)
- 一馬當先 - to take the lead (one’s horse is at the forefront)
- 時來運到 - when the time comes, good fortune will befall upon you
- 勞苦功高 - one deserves all the credit for one’s hard work
- 東成西就 - achieve success everywhere
All of the above 20 characters are taught in the Basic Chinese 500 course.
We hope you and your child have fun playing this game.
We invite you to share your answers with us if you come up with different ones.