Traditionally, this activity was used to connect Chinese idioms where the last word of one idiom forms the first word of the next idiom. We will be adapting it so that small children can play and build up their vocabulary.
本週活動 ACTIVITY OF THE WEEK
This week, your children will literally connect characters to make multiple words and phrases as their brain makes connections regarding how the same character can be used in different situations. If your children are younger or do not have a huge Chinese vocabulary, you can as make as many phrases with a particular character instead of following the jie long method.
所需道具 WHAT YOU NEED
- 紙 Paper
- 筆 Pens
準備工作 HOW TO MAKE
- Nothing really to make unless you want to provide cards with characters already written.
玩法 HOW TO PLAY
3. 第二個人繼續組話，以上一個詞語結尾的字作為新詞語的開始。例如：山下 -> 下去⋯
Jie Long Game (age 4+, single/multi player)
1. Take a character card or choose a character with which to start the activity. For example, 高.
2. Ask Player 1 to form a phrase that starts with the chosen character. Eg: 高山. Either write it down on a sheet of paper or white board, or choose the appropriate character card.
3. Ask Player 2 to form a phrase with ending character of the previous phrase. Eg: 山下, 下去, etc.
4. Continue on to the next player until someone is stuck. Skip to the next player until no one come up with a connecting phrase. The winner is the last person to make a phrase.
Alternative ideas: If your children are younger, you can provide a list of characters that would work with each other. The easiest way is to copy all the characters in a few of the lessons and provide them for your kids.
To make the game harder, instead of phrases, you can have the players come up with sentences.
Jie Long Game
Want more tips and advice on how to go through Sagebooks with your children? Join us in our Facebook Group and meet other parents who are teaching their kids Basic Chinese 500 at all different ages and levels.