This week’s Parent Spotlight is Po Tim King from Fortune Cookie Mom. She homeschools her four children in Hong Kong and is making good use of the sets! Po also creates lovely Chinese worksheets and activity sets and used her creations in conjunction with Sagebooks.
My parents are both from Hong Kong so we are all native Cantonese speakers living in Hong Kong. My oldest daughter is 8 now, she read Sagebooks when she was 6. My second daughter is 6 now, she is currently using Sagebooks. My third son is 4, I’m not going to officially start Sagebooks with him until he is ready, maybe 6 years old. And I have a 16-months old son, learning how to speak Cantonese and English.
8 year old daughter: started: 6; finished: 5 months
6 year old daughter: started: ~6; currently at Budding Reader (Level 2), 4 months in
4 year old son (N/A)
1 year old son (N/A)
In her Own Words
1. Why did you choose Sagebooks?
2. What was your experience with going through Sagebooks?
3. What did your typical lesson look like? Did you do additional activities?
4. What did you like about Sagebooks? Was there anything you didn't?
5. If you have more than one child, would you do it again?
6. Any advice for parents who are just starting?
Thank you so much for your responses, Po! Your patience to wait until each child is ready and to adapt to their individual learning styles are excellent parenting skills. And your advice on not comparing children is indeed an invaluable reminder to all of us.