This is the beginning of a series where you can find time tested tips from our more seasoned parents as well as fun and easy activities to supplement your Sagebooks experience. As much as children love the illustrations in the books and stories, the more ways we can make learning Chinese characters fun, the better!
We know you’re a busy parent so these posts will be quick and to the point.
ACTIVITY OF THE WEEK
Children process and learn differently. Some do well just going through the books and others need kinesthetic activities. Here, we’re starting off with a card matching game that will be familiar to most parents as well as really easy to do. Plus, you can make the cards as elaborate or as simple as you want.
You can do it with all the characters. But as we know you’re busy, we recommend doing a small mix of characters your child finds super easy as well as the characters your child is having a hard time retaining. That way, you efficiently review trouble characters without discouraging your child.
準備 HOW TO MAKE
- 將同一個字寫在兩張裁好的卡紙上 (也可以一張寫字、另一張畫相關的圖像)
- Cut out cards in the size and amount you want
- Write the character on 2 cards (or write one character and one drawing of the character)
- Repeat until you are done with all the characters you want to use.
*Quick Tip: To make the cards last longer, you can laminate before you cut.
遊戲方法 HOW TO PLAY
記憶遊戲 (4歲以上，一人或以上遊戲) Memory (age 4+, multi or single players)
1) Shuffle cards and place them face down on a flat surface.
2) Player 1 flips over two cards. If they match, they keep the pair and go again. If they do not match, their turn is over.
3) Rotate through all the players until all cards are gone.
4) Winner is the player with the most cards.
*Alternate ways to play: single player; no winner; or turn is over even after there is a matched pair.
配對遊戲 (3歲以上，一人或多人遊戲) Matching (age 3+, multi or single players)
*其他遊戲杗式: 改變字卡的數量 (例如: 只排放一張字卡，面向上，而將2-5張字卡交給孩子，讓他選出能配對的字卡)
1. Lay 2-5 cards face up on a flat surface
2. Give your child the matching cards
3. Have child match their cards to the ones on the flat surface
4. Repeat either with the same cards or with a different set.
*Alternate ways to play: vary number of cards (eg: lay just 1 card face up and give child 2-5 cards and have them find the right one to match)
Here’s a video of children of 8-years, 6-years and 4-years playing the matching and memory games.
我們希望能看到你的孩子做這些遊戲的照片或影片，也希望能聽到你的意見或提問。更歡迎加入我們的【講媽 ⦁ 講爸】Facebook 群組，我們等你喔。
We would love to hear your comments and see pictures of your kids doing the activities. Make sure you join our Sagebooks HK Parent Support Facebook Group and share with us!