This week’s Parent Spotlight is Tiger Woo. Since Tiger Woo’s kids already knew how to read English, she wisely covered the pinyin and English translations. She also incorporates an added dimension of teaching her daughter both the zhuyin and stroke order of the characters they review.
Tiger Woo and her husband both immigrated from Taiwan in elementary school. They speak mostly English at home but everyone is fluent in Chinese and English. Her son attended a Mandarin Immersion school for K-2 and all her children are now attending a regular elementary school.
10 year old son (started: 6; finished: 7-8 months)
7 year old daughter (started: 5; currently still learning)
In her Own Words
1. Why did you choose Sagebooks?
2. What was your experience with going through Sagebooks?
3. What did your typical lesson look like? Did you do additional activities?
4. What did you like about Sagebooks? Was there anything you didn't?
5. If you have more than one child, would you do it again?
6. Any advice for parents who are just starting?
Thank you so much for your responses, Tiger Woo! Many people write in asking about what to do if their kids can already read English and covering it up is the easiest! Also, your suggestion of being consistent is a great reminder to all of us parents.